Monday, July 20, 2020

Common Cents # 13 – Starting a business

Common Cents  # 13 – Starting a business

 

My family’s history is filled with family members starting and running small businesses of many kinds. Since a large number of people dream of owning their own business, but few people act on that dream or know how to go about it, it seems appropriate that we consider that topic this week. I have started a few businesses so I will tell you a little about what my experience has been.

I had developed a real love for black and white photography while in college and really enjoyed working in the darkroom. While I was working in a camera store after college, I realized that owning a custom black and white photo lab could be a real possibility. Many days at the camera store I would take a camera off of the shelf and shoot a roll of film or two around the store. I would use different cameras, some new, some antique, different formats, and different types of film. Each evening I would develop the film, experimenting with different developers, temperatures, times, and various techniques. Along the way, along with experience, I began to accumulate some cash and equipment.

I thought of this recently when I came across all of those negatives, carefully labeled with date, camera, exposures, and the developer that was used.

Within a relatively short time, I began to realize that I had as much darkroom experience and knowledge of black and white film as just about anybody on the planet. That is when I started telling people that I was going to open a custom black and white lab. The response was sufficient, and I was able to leave the camera store and do film processing and printing full time. My wife joined the company, and Mathis Photo was a profitable business from 1973 until 1996.  We only sold the company when we saw the digital age coming and the end of film processing in that volume on the horizon.

The basic idea then starts with a passion, or the spark that could become a passion. Included in that is a service or product that has been proven as needed, one that people are willing to pay someone else to do for them. The next step is to become an expert. It is unlikely that there was anyone with more experience with black and white film than I had. We also held excellent customer service and care as a very high priority.

Years later, I studied the coffee industry, coffeehouses, and how to build a caring community for more than a year before I opened a coffeehouse, a “Third Place” for people to congregate and spend time while having excellent food and great coffee. It is vital to be well grounded financially with a clear understanding of what the endeavor will require to stay solvent. Avoid debt like the plague, of course now we know that people aren’t very good at avoiding the plague. Create a business plan, then step out and do it.

A website that I created not long ago may answer a few of the questions that come to mind when considering starting a new business.  The address for that is:  OnYourOwn.help

No comments:

Post a Comment

Common Cents # 50 Tax Time

  Common Cents – Tax Day  There are only three things that I know a lot about: the Bible, photography, and taxes. I also have opinions abo...