Monday, March 1, 2021

Common Cents # 44 - Contentment

 

Contentment

 

I have been in several conversations this week about contentment. Each year for the past several years I have chosen a “Word for the Year.” One year it was “Learn,” one was “Write,” in 2020 it was “Vision.” My word for 2021 is “Content.” It was an easy choice because that is very much where I am at this year.

A few years ago I felt what can best be called a “Wave of Contentment” sweep over me. It had to do with the realization that I had already done most of what I had hoped I would do in my life. I had no desire to start a new business or a new band. There was no requirement to write another book if I didn’t want to, nor did I need to ride a bicycle across Kansas or run a 10K again. I was under no severe financial pressure and in short, I was content to enjoy life and whatever it might bring.

That contentment came in handy in 2020 when very little went as planned. Because of being content I have been able to roll with the punches and take the days as they came.

I have found that being content is one of the big factors in experiencing happiness. The Apostle Paul in the book of Philippians talks about being content in his financial circumstances. ”I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.” Philippians 4:12. 

In other words, contentment is not a station in life, but an attitude. This newsletter is about money and that is the context that Paul was talking about. This kind of contentment is being satisfied with what we have, not striving for even a little bit more.

That does not mean it is acceptable to be lazy and spend the rest of our lives on the sofa. Contentment just frees us up to pursue things that matter the most to us. Some of these things might bring financial reward or they might not. Often contentment brings financial rewards if it is accompanied by creativity, or new ideas or goals. Virtually every successful business idea I have had came to me while on vacation, or relaxing somewhere, feeling free and content.

But in another sense, contentment is the result of achieving our goals. If we have not defined what our goals are, we won’t know when we have accomplished them. Contentment comes with the feeling of a job well done, knowing that we have done what we were supposed to do using every tool we had with the best effort we could give.

The opposite of contentment is disappointment, dissatisfaction, displeasure, worry, trouble, misery, or agitation. None of these are good things. Other words for contentment are satisfied or having peace of mind.

Often contentment comes down to our attitude toward money. If we think that we would be content if had just a little bit more, guess what. . . .We won’t be. We can develop the mindset to be content, or we can choose a life of strife and dissatisfaction. It is our choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Common Cents # 50 Tax Time

  Common Cents – Tax Day  There are only three things that I know a lot about: the Bible, photography, and taxes. I also have opinions abo...